Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

a Research Presenter - My First International Seminar

What's on your mind when you read the word "RESEARCH" ?
Do you think it's a confusing case?
Do you think it's a big problem?
Do you like it?
Do you love it?
Do you hate it?





















Yeap , talking about research , it derives me to the idea of AMAZING thing, I love to conduct research, especially when it deals with educational field. I remembered when I  did research with my friends  for Research Method Final project. At that time , I was in my undergraduate study in English Education Department  of Satya Wacana Christian University. Luckily, my group took chance to present in the 5th International Seminar of FBS UKSW. We delivered our research in the conference. We were very proud and happy. Furthermore, it was also my first International conference in which I was the one of presenters who involved in the marvellous conference. My group research's title was

"The English Department CCU Students’ Perceptions Toward The Term of Best English"

by : Candradewi W.A. , Christianti T.H., Kharisma M. , and Wieke N.S 

Abstract of the research
In the era of World Englishes, the presence of various varieties of English starts to shift the Native speakers’ position as the central of learning English. As Kachru (1985:30) noted that the native speakers of English seem to have lost exclusive prerogative to control its standardization. Based on that claim, this study investigated the students’ perception toward the term of “The Best English” in order to find out more whether English learners still consider native speakers as the center of learning. This study surveyed 26 English Department, Satya Wacana Christian University students that attend Cross Culture Understanding course where they can learn various cultural perspectives in the era of World Englishes. All of participants   were asked to answer open-ended questionnaire that consisted of 10 questions related to “The Best English” in 10 minutes. The finding showed that the English Department CCU students’ perception about the term of Best English is still related to the native English speaker. Native English speaker is the center of learning English where they can consider that native speaker is someone who speaks English fluently and also with correct grammar and pronunciation. 
Key terms        : Students’ perception, Best English, World Englishes  

My group and Mr. Duncan ( my lecturer, he became the moderator of my group presentation session in the International Seminar) , from left : Christianti, Wieke, Mr. Duncan, me (Candra) , and Kharisma 






No comments:

Post a Comment